Sunday, February 1, 2009

What Won't I Wear?

I don't aim to create any rules when it comes to style, but over the years, I've obviously cultivated my own list of likes and dislikes when comes to dressing myself that relate to not only what I find aesthetically appealing, but also what does and doesn't suit my body. Which begs the question, what won't I wear?

I've often thought about this before, but was never so bold as to post it until Toni laid it all out last week in her "Trends I Loathe" post . Truth be told, I've had this list saved in a file since August, but in the interest of politeness, kept it under wraps. Here it is now, my list of things I'm never going to wear. Never say never, though, right?

1. Denim rompers/overalls/dresses/onesies/shirts. Too much denim. Yuck. I do have a denim jacket and a dark denim blazer, but I can't bring myself to wear them with jeans.

Original image: amazon.com.

2. Peep-toe shoes. I can't explain my aversion to them, I'm just not a fan. It might be ok in a sandal, though.

Original image: exoticexcess.com.

3. Drop-waist dresses. I don't think they look bad, but they're not for me. Not with the boobs I've got! I look like I'm completely round. I'm a slave to the empire waist.

Original image: cleocat-fashion.com.

4. Maxi dresses/long skirts, because I have short enough legs as it is.

5. Harem pants. Everyone else can wear them all they want, but I just say no.

Original image: twopeasinabucket.com.

6. Wide-legged trousers. I have wide hips for a girl my size. They'd look like a circus tent on me.

Original image: productwiki.com.

7. Mint green. The only color that I'm truly repulsed by. I hate it more than I hate orange. On the other hand, I love sea foam green. Go figure. And just because the picture reminded me, don't expect to see me in a polo shirt, either.

Original image: i1.iofferphoto.com.

8. Black mesh/lace panels or sleeves on shirts. Too goth-y for me. Reminds me of a phase and some associated events that I went through in middle school that I never, ever want to re-live.

Original image: vampire.co.uk.

4 comments:

Toni said...

haha! this is so funny. but now i'm sad because i like some of these! but that's okay. :) but i do hate polo shirts. eww. and i'm not fan of those harem pants either. and oh how i wish wide leg trousers looked good on me. but i think they only look good on tall, thin people. oh well.

lizbeth said...

Haha, go on and like what you like! I dress like an insane person at times, so I'm not one to judge. I just wouldn't wear those things personally. Three of them are based almost entirely on my body woes, anyway. Like, that drop-waist dress and the maxi dress - Those both look great on the models, but not at all on me.

MizzJ said...

Oh god, harem pants are terrible. Only for those with the wackiest fashion sense can pull these off. Saw a guy last night at the club that we thought was wearing denim harem pants and we started making fun of him until he pulled them up... and we realized he just had no ass.

lizbeth said...

Haha, and here I was thinking I was the only person who thought they were ridiculous. Glad I'm not the only one!!

Not that I don't think some people may pull them off, but I'll pass, thank you. :)